Friday, December 12, 2008

Heisman...again?

Why my Heisman vote went to Tebow

Here’s the easy answer to why I voted Tim Tebow for the Heisman Trophy: He’s the greatest amateur player in a team sport. Ever. But Sam Bradford had better numbers, you say. Tell that to Texas, Mr. 45-35.

Today is the deadline to send Heisman ballots. Here is mine, emailed Monday morning:

1. QB Tim Tebow, Florida: So his numbers aren’t as good as they were last fall. That’s like criticizing Michelangelo because his latest masterpiece wasn’t the Sistine Chapel.

2. QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma: Huge numbers, even better kid.

3. QB Colt McCoy, Texas: Fair or not, he got lost in the Tebow/Bradford shuffle.

7 comments:

Joaquin said...

Rob, I agree that Tebow is simply the best there is. But a big part of me is somewhat relieved that he didn't get it for a second time and that Bradford did. I really think that the Heisman is a curse. Principally because it's such a distraction when you got a big game coming up. Interviews everywhere, Jay Leno, GMA, ESPN, breakfasts, dinners, appearances etc., etc., etc. Tebow can't say no and UF Athletic Dept would want the exposure to help with recruiting and alumni $$$. Practice suffers. Focus suffers. It would be doubly difficult if he had won it twice. Much more newsworthy and the pressure from the media would be even greater. When is he going to practice? Plus, he'd be away from the team doing all these appearances like last year(Look what happened). Even if no one admits it, even if hey all love him --and they do-- there would be some resentment on the part of his teamates. Harvin would think at some level, "What am I??? Chopped liver??? Why is the white boy getting all the attention when I made all these touchdowns?" No, I am happy that Tebow's back in G'ville today. Doing reps. Going over OKL game film with Meyer. Working on packages with Harvin and CI and Demps and Cooper and all the rest. Yes, sir! Let Bradford get all the attention. Let him bask in the limelight. He's a great kid. He deserves all the attention. I hope he appears on every TV show there is between now and Jan 8. And I hope Bobby Stoops goes with him! In the meantime you won't hear a peep from Gainesville. Except maybe a distant, muffled, growling sound. The the low rumbling growl you hear bull gators make when they're getting ready for a feeding frenzy...

Victor said...

Gang,
Great points...all of them. The reference to last year is critical as UF got trashed by a mediocre Michigan team that had a lame duck coach (Carr) on the field while their new coach (Rodriguez) was in the booth doing interviews! That was shocking to me. Usually, that is a sure-fire way to defeat. It cost me, big-time, in the bowl pool scene as I had UF all the way in that game. It is huge for UF for Tebow to be hunkered down with Pope Urban. Let Bradford go to the talk show circuit.
Gator Chomp all the way.
Victor
Note: How about UF and SC staffs getting raided? Your embattled Mullen getting hired elsewhere. Our Sarkisian heading to rival Washington and trying to take several SC staff members with him. That hurts, big-time. We are constantly having our staff raided by others. What gives? How about Bob Stoops at OU coming back to possibly haunt the Gators? These are critical issues facing the big programs.
Meanwhile, Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden had the same staff members for 20+ years. Big advantage. VMC

Joaquin said...

Hey, Victor, Really glad you're always there. One of the hazards of being a top-flight program is that the assistants are always being cherry picked. Mullen is a good offensive coordinator, altough a little predictable sometimes. I think he'll do well at Miss State and I think we'll do well w/o him. I really wish him well. Rob, Jason do you guys agree or do you think he was some sort of offensive genius?? For some reason I never warmed up to him. I wasn't crazy about his play calling. I would sit at games and know exactly what he was going to call almost every time which freaked me out, although it's hard to criticize given our tremendous success. But I attribute the success to over abundance of talent. Anyway we'll find out soon!

Rob said...

I agree. Mullen was certainly above average, but there's definitely room for improvement. I don't think I'll lose any sleep. Hope that comment doesn't haunt me in the future.

Victor said...

Gang,
I recall earlier in the season you guys jumping all over this Mullen cat...even referencing a dump Mullen website. You should be glad to see him go. I am with Rob...hope your comments do not come back to haunt you.
As for us, Sarkisian was very well loved, as was Kiffin. Look at our last 3 offensive coordinators: Chow (went to the NFL, now with the cross-town, bitter rival UCLA Bruins); Kiffin (went to the NFL, now with the Tennessee Volunteers); and now Sarkisian (went to the NFL, came back to SC, now with conference rival Washington Huskies). At this rate, our next coordinator will go to Notre Dame! This...all in the past 4 years. I am amazed we are able to hold it together.
Victor

Joaquin said...

Guys, It's the same musical chairs all over I guess. I just read a crazy story that Urban Meyer said that Notre Dame was still his dream job. Is he insane or what?? He turned down ND for UF and now he says ND is his dream job??? Boy, that's going to endear him to the Bull Gators that pay his fat paycheck. What's with Urban? First he ranks USC behind Utah in his BCS poll and now he says ND is his dream job!!! Is he doing drugs?? Well, buster, take a hike!!! And check out what happened to Spurier after he left UF. If he wants to go to the rust belt and rot in mediocrity, that's fine with me. I was a Gator before Urban and before the Zooker and before Spurrier and before Galen Hall and before Doug Dickey. Heck, I was a Gator when Ray Graves was our coach. And I'll be a Gator long after Urban is gone!

Victor said...

Joaq,
That is bizarre. How can he still talk about Notre Dame? Some of these guys'egos are pretty huge, don't you think?
Sure, he was at ND and it is near and dear to his heart, but, give me a break, buddy. You are at one of the top programs in the country, have established a perennial powerhouse, and you are still "looking" and "dreaming" of other positions? Maybe you (Urban) can think that and keep your thoughts to yourself.
Victor
Note: You have to see the Pete Carroll feature from "60 Minutes" from this past Sunday night. VMC