Monday, July 14, 2008
Hey, Bloggers...anybody for a party?
Blogger fans,
Any chance we can get together for a coast-to-coast tailgater? Last season, after the euphoria of the bowl season wore off, we spoke/wrote of a tailgater somewhere, anywhere; where we could join hands, eat some good food, and have an ice cold, frosty beverage.
I see several options:
Option #1: L.A. Coliseum...End of August/Early September...the Trojans home-opener against the hated, dreaded Ohio State Buckeyes!!! For this one, we can all agree on who we are rooting for and against: All CTCB'ers will be rooting for the Trojans to absolutely shellack the Buckeyes, who, as we all know, have been masquerading as a great team from the Big-10 (they are actually a mediocre team in every other conference and a lousy bowl team). Cueto and Clayton Bloggers will host all comers. Free lodging. Free food. Pay for the flight and we are there!!!
Option #2: The Swamp...October....The Gators host the LSU Tigers. Unbelievable!!! This would be a blast, however, it would create some conflicts as the Fraxedas will be rooting hard for their beloved Gators (as well they should), however, Luisleon, the Cuban Cajun, will be in enemy territory pulling for his Tigers. The party would be huge, as it may coincide with my 50th Birthday (stay tuned).
Option #3: Aggie Country...Anytime...Texas A & M...Pete Dunn will be on the hot-seat for this one as none of the other bloggers have been anywhere close to College Station. We will need Google Maps to arrive there. This one is a curious option, however, it is in the middle of the country, so it is the fairest option for the CTCB'ers. Also, recent pictures showed Mr. Dunn in Pamplona running with the bulls, so we know he is ready to tell some stories while he puts back a cold, carbonated beverage. Gig'Em Aggies!!!
There you have it. Comments?
Victor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Hey, Victor, Joaquin here. I'm definitely ready to party!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, the Gators have a bye week on Sept 13 when your Trojans take on Ohio State. So I am extremely tempted since I've never seen the amazing Trojans play live and I've never been to the legendary Coliseum. Would tickets be dificult???
In terms of Gators v LSU that should be an incredible clash of SEC titans and The Swamp will be rocking, you are all invited. Let me know and we can start making plans. Let the tailgating begin!!!
P.S. Did you note Rob added a countdown clock to College Football on the blog???
Love you all! Joaq
Love you. Love Rob. Love the countdown. Awesome. I am getting pumped!!!
Tickets are a problem but not really. We/I have gone to many games and have never had a ticket in advance as I am not a season ticket holder and/or a major donor to The University.
That said, we always seem to find tickets. Scalping/brokering, although not quite legal, occurs frequently.
A friend of mine says there are tickets available, on line, for around $75 apiece. We may look into this if we are going to have a large group go to the game. That way, we will have less stress of trying to buy a ticket through scalping and we may be able to sit all together.
Many things to consider. The fact remains that I have never failed to get in to see a sporting event when I really wanted to go (World Series, concerts, Fenway Park, Notre Dame/Michigan game in Ann Arbor, etc). I have done it all. Rose Bowl games, SC/UCLA.
I say we start a plan for travel, which is the most difficult and costly, and go from there.
We know so many people who tailgate...we will be right outside of the venerable Coliseum. The campus will be rocking as it the home opener. Should be awesome.
As for Gators/Tigers, we could pull that off, too. Maybe a one-two punch. September followed by October. Sounds like too much fun!!!
Stay in touch and let's see who we can rope into this scheme for fun.
Take care,
Victor
Vic, we are also getting pumped here. Tickets are always hard to come by when you're talking about powerhouses --I guess that's the price we pay for being a Trojan or a Gator. Like the Trojans, Gator tickets are really hard to come by --I have some faculty tickets that I share(as a long time adjunct) but some years are better than others. Last year was great because a long time full professor friend was on Sabattical so I bid on his 3 tickets and had them all season. I usually can get more through friends and colleagues. LSU is one of those hyper SEC games where tickets are at a premium... But I'm sure we can do it.No question about it. Let's continue the conversation. Because I would really like to see you guys.
Defense is still our Achilles heel and with the loss of two experienced safeties through season ending injuries --before the season stars, concho!--
It's going to hurt. But, like you guys, we have depth. Will Hill, true freshman, was the top recruited safety in the country so he's going to have to grow up in a hurry. Major Wright, who was true freshman last year is also an awesome safety who played a good portion of last year with an injured arm and still was one of the team leaders in tackles. He's fully healthy --cross your fingers-- this year. There are also about 3 or four other young athletes that can step up to the position. Still, losing two safeties before the season starts stings and stinks!
Anyway, super pumped up watching the countdown clock!!
I am completely pumped for any of these options. Have family in CA would like to see. Have family in TX would like to see. Would be happy to help host at the alma mater in FL. Have football would love to see :-)
I will start checking plane tickets and take the easy way out for now, see if the gang leans one way or the other. If there's no consensus, my vote will probably go by the flip of a coin.
Rob,
Flip of a coin sounds good. However, if we are ready to incur some serious AWS "Angry Wife Syndrome" we can opt for all options and let the chips fall where they may!!!!
If not us, who? If not now, When?
Huuuuaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!
42 days away (and counting) and the AWS has already reared it's ugly head!!
We must throw caution to the wind. Carpe Diem (seize the day) and keep a good attorney on retainer.
Keep rocking!!!!
Victor
"Carpe Diem," indeed, unless it's a night game and then it would be "Carpe Noctem"!!!!! :)
Haha!! AWS requires 2 weeks notice, maybe 3 if it's an interstate trip. I will make sure the coin flip is timely if it comes to that. But in all honesty, I have given it some thought and I would prob cast my vote for the Trojans game, if for no other reason than haven't seen much of the CA crew for many years. Also, Tiff and I have talked about a west coast trip. Only thing is, we are doing a cruise end of August. It doesn't conflict with the USC home opener, but will see if the quarterly vacation budget is pooped. Checked jet blue for flights, rates not friendly but doable (~$1,300 total for 2 round trip, flying in to Long Beach; Vic, any insider tips on economy flights?)
Gang,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Jet Blue should be a lot less expensive. Many of our relatives have flown jet blue out of Long Beach to and from Lauderdale.
Got to go, for now.
Victor
Fraxedas Clan (and anybody else viewing the blog),
Rob, you are correct. Flights are going to run about $200-$250 each way per person. With all the additional fees, taxes, and the like, you are looking at about $1,000 per couple, round trip. This is more expensive than earlier thought.
Jet Blue can run as low as $179, one way, from Ft. Lauderdale to Long Beach, however, you would have to book it asap as they have very few seats available at this low price. Who knows...maybe they have lower fares available, if you take them down asap.
At any rate, the LA Times has been running some great articles about the upcoming CFA season. Excitement is running high for the Trojans.
Got to run. Stay strong.
Victor
Hey, Vic. I'm checking out the blog.
Hope we can make one of these tailgates a reality!
Frax Clan,
I have returned after an absence from the blog. Joaq, I have a plan for the upcoming season: We should start getting some of our "lost boys" (Luisleon, my brother Jose, and Pete Dunn, to name a few) to get back into the swing of the blog.
Build the interest so it crescendos just before the first game. What do you think?
Got to run,
Abrazos,
Victor
Welcome Back Victor! Good idea--let's round the others up. Why don't you post something about the Trojans? The Gators have been plagued by serious pre-season practice injuries. Five season-ending ACL's in the last few days!!! The most painful was Senior TE Cornelius Ingram "C.I." One of our superstars on offense who passed up an early high draft with the NFL for one more year with the Gators -- A heck of nice kid, too. I hear your starting QB also had some injury but not terribly serious. Bring us up to date! Joaquin
Post a Comment