Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Power of The Blog to Bring Us Together!

The last two days were fantastic and a testament to the power of our blog. I was doing a case in the panhandle of Florida and remembered that the famous Cuban Cajun, Luisleon, lived in the vicinity. I emailed him that I was at the Marriott Baypoint resort in Panama City Beach and he promptly replied that he was ten minutes away, shutting down his computer, and jumping in his speedy beemer so please have a cold one waiting at the waterfront bar. I complied and soon we were chugging cold ones, eating sushi, and generally having such a noisy blast that we came darn close to being kicked out of the bar (all the fault of the ragin cajun). We called Vic and put him on speaker so the whole bar could hear our wild trash talk. The party continued the next day when Luisleon and I took off on a four-hour road trip to Jacksonville. I had a case there the next day and Luisleon came up with some lame excuse about a corporate meeting in Jax so we could continue the adventure. We checked into the Hyatt Grand Riverside and soon Luisleon was quaffing martinis (I was drinking skim milk) at the bar. We were beginning to make dinner plans when I got an email from Natalie who was in Sacramento. As usual, I replied "to all" that I was at a bar in Jax with Luisleon. Instantly the famous "Aggie Twelf Man", Pete Dunn, emailed back saying that he had just bogeyed the 17th hole at Sawgrass, just down the road at beautiful Ponte Vedra Beach. Soon the ragin Cuban Cajun and I were cruising down AIA to meet Dunn and his clients at Ruth Chris' Steakhouse. Now, I must take a moment to set the record straight: I was stone cold sober (having only had milk) as we drove toward Ponte Vedra. Luisleon, on the other hand, was utterly out of control. He was so wild that he picked up my blackberry and started texting and emailing other blog members (principally Victor) from my blackberry. The fact that he started using my bb instead of his own bb which he had in his other hand is conclusive proof of his state of mind (or unmind) so, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, please ignore the rantings that came from my blackberry on the evening of August 26th. They were clearly the product of a demented cajun. Pete and two of his clients (one was another lsu cajun --"Skeeter", the other a nc tarheel) were waiting for us at the bar. I ordered another milk. Pete was a wonderful and generous host. We had a superb dinner and notwithstanding our protestations and attempts to pick up the tab, Pete had made prior arrangements and treated us all to a veritable feast of the finest food and drink, even rare California wines which, to maintain my sobriety, I sadly abstained from drinking. We really got to know each other after dinner at the bar (where I continued to have milk) and had so much fun that we closed the place down. When we looked up all other customers had left the joint (or were driven out by the wild rantings of my fellow bloggers --specially the cajuns). We were all so captured by the moment that we even pledged to visit College Station together and Pete got so sentimental and teary-eyed that he even praised Tim Tebow and called him the best QB in the history of the world!!!!!

2 comments:

luisleon said...

I have no doubt Joaquin’s Senator-like credibility will far exceed mine. I, the lowly Cube-caje refugee from SoCal Loulion am preceded with a reputation which no doubt makes it plausible to believe all of what you have just read. Nevertheless, for those of you who REALLY know me – I will make what may seem a feeble attempt to rectify some of the “facts” in this amazing short story.

Priorities ARE priorities – and it’s an unwritten rule that when a fellow SEC fan offers up to buy you a cold glass of milk (even though it may be heavily laced with Jack Daniels) one must cease the moment. The great Bull Gator Joaq did just this on Tuesday. It occurred to me at some point, the most incredible part of this entire adventure was not so much the spontaneity - but that it was brought about by complete STRANGERS – a testament to the power of the blog!

Case in point, upon making contact with Peter Dunn to join him a mere 45 miles away in at the TPC - Punta Vedra, an urgent request was made to USC Central Intelligence Headquarters by LouLion (as Gator J drove his Swamp Buggy 85 mph down highway A1A while trying to figure out how to work his GPS and hang a Gator banner out of his window) for a recent picture to be able to identify Peter. This might explain why I was mandated to answer Gator J’s text messages on HIS BB. The man clearly needs an additional arm to match his over active mental process. Anyway, apples falling from the same tree look alike – knowing Gordi Dunn certainly helped us identify his brother. (Hint: Vic, next time email an LA County criminal file photo – not an “s-faced” picture of Peter at the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona when he was 21 years old!) Peter, thank you for an incredible dinner! Your invitation to blow off my “lame Corporate Meeting” to play a round the next day was indeed very tempting! In hindsight, I should have gone!

Joaq, on the issue of closing bars, I defer to our colleague Johnny Cueto who trained us for years on proper “bar closing” procedures. It’s a well honed skill requiring tremendous timing and endurance.

In closing, the numerous “milk shakes” no doubt impaired Joaq’s ability to hear Peter’s last words regarding Tim Tebow. I’ll refrain from posting what was Joaq’s total misinterpretation for fear it would send him into a “hyper-gator epileptic attack” on his office floor!

Chalk it up guys! One epic event goes down into history and the season has not even started…imagine LSU at Gainesville – October 11th – going to have to buy a diary farm for this event!

Victor said...

Gang,
Since I was lucky (or, unlucky; depending on your perspective) to have been either:
1. E-mailed;
2. Called on my cell phone;
3. Called on my home phone;
4. Or texted
throughout the entire evening, morning, afternoon of the amazing "best-blind-date-of-them-all" and the "best-spontaneous-road-trip" ever...WOW!!!!
This could be published in Ripley's Believe It Or Not...and nobody would believe it. The fact that my cousin, my friend, and one of my long-time-friends could get together and have a great time without ever having met before is a testament to how great these people are...this was the "A" team, for sure.
Since I feel as if I were there (and the numerous calls and speaker phone cell calls speak for themselves), many year from now, I will actually tell the tale of how my cousin, Joaquin, consumed more milk in one sitting to such an extent that it caused a lactose overdose which manifested itself in a spontaneous enlarging of his breasts. He is now resting well and has considering leaving his mediation practice for that of an exotic dancer (Luisleon has become his agent and has booked him for the Republican National Convention next week to rave, advanced reviews).
You guys are the best of the best to have pulled off one of the most amazing, off-the-cuff, spontaneous meetings of unknowns ever!!!!
I love you all and I love the journey.
Beers on me next time any of us meet.
Thanks a million!!!
Victor