skip to main |
skip to sidebar
7th Week Recap
- Iowa 45 Indiana 9 - Playing most of the game on a short field, using a masterful offensive game plan and clamping down a suffocating defense Iowa gained a decisive 45-9 victory over Indiana Saturday afternoon inside Memorial Stadium. The win gives the Hawkeyes a 4-3 overall record, 1-2 in the Big Ten Conference. The Hoosiers are 2-4, 0-3. "This was a team win all the way," Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said. "It's a great feeling for our players. They've been playing tough and all three areas contributed to the victory." Iowa, arguably the best 3-3 team in the nation entering today's game, is now staking claim to being the best 4-3 team in the land. Congratulations Hawkeye Ted!!!!!
- Kansas State 44 Texas A&M 30 - Josh Freeman completed 21 of 26 passes and ran for four touchdowns as Kansas State snapped its five-game losing streak to Texas A&M with a 44-30 win Saturday. Courtney Herndon returned a blocked punt for a touchdown for the Wildcats (4-2, 1-1 Big 12), who moved the ball at will in the first half and led 27-10 at the break. Sophomore quarterback Jerrod Johnson tried to rally the Aggies, but the comeback stalled when Kansas State's defense stuffed Jorvorskie Lane twice at the goal line midway through the fourth quarter. Freeman led a 98-yard drive the other way and sealed the win on a short touchdown run with 4:37 left. Johnson, starting again for the injured Stephen McGee, completed 29 of 41 passes for a school-record 419 yards. He also ran for a score and finished with 487 total yards, also a school record. The Aggies (2-4) gave up 451 yards and dropped to 0-2 in the Big 12 for the first time. Sorry Aggipete, the Aggies need a shot of redemption pretty soon or they are going to turn into a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard. Better luck next week!
- Penn 27 Georgetown 7 - Penn returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown and scored another seven points off of a Georgetown interception en route to a 27-7 win over the Hoyas in front of 3,135 fans on Homecoming Day at the Multi-Sport Field. It was the first game for Georgetown after last week's game against Colgate was cancelled due to an outbreak of norovirus on the campus (you thought I was kidding last week when I talked about norovirus). Georgetown falls to 1-4 overall while Penn improves to 2-2 overall. Man, Willy, you guys also need a shot of redemption! Better luck next week!
- USC 28 Arizona State 0 - A convincing victory was of little consolation to Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez, who reacted as if he was on the losing side. Perhaps he might have been had it not been for the Trojans' dominating defense. Sanchez passed for one touchdown and ran for another, and No. 8 USC overcame five turnovers and nine penalties to beat Arizona State 28-0 on Saturday for its ninth straight victory over the Sun Devils. The Trojans have won those nine games by an average of 20.1 points. "It was a tough outing for me and the offense as a whole," Sanchez said. "I think that we beat ourselves. We didn't see anything that we weren't prepared for. We just didn't execute the way we would have liked." Victor, first congratulations on a thorough defeat of Arizona State. Second, man, USC and UF are leading parallel lives. Sanchez' reaction to a 28 point shutout over the Sun Devils was almost identical to Tebow's reaction to our 38 to 7 beatdown of Arkansas at Arkansas last week. Tebow was dejected and it fell more like a loss than a win to the Gator Nation. But if our performance against LSU last night is any indicator you will absolutely destroy Washington State next week. I feel sorry for them already! Congratulations again, Victor!
- Florida 51 LSU 21 - Florida utterly crushed LSU last night at The Swamp. The Gators shot out of the tunnel breathing fire and cut lose with all offensive weapons at once. It was a feast of firepower. Fast and furious. Within seconds of the opening kickoff Tebow threw a 70 yard TD pass to Percy Harvin. Then things really got going after that opening bomb. What followed was a blur of scoring and speed. By the end of the first quarter the Gators had racked 186 offensive yards and LSU had 4. It was pure unmitigated slaughter, just as I had foreseen and gone on record on the blog a few days ago. I will explain my thoughts in a posting just after this recap. Sorry Luisleon, Les Miles should have wrapped duck tape around your loudmouth defensive lineman's mouth. Too bad he stayed behind in Baton Rouge, cowering under his bed. We had prepared a special welcome for him at the Swamp. I am sorry he missed it.
2 comments:
Joaq,
Your summary and thoughts are fantastic!!! You make Monday morning bearable. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
By the way, did you see: SC and UF are running neck-and-neck in the Harris and Coaches poll? Could it portend a potential match-up in January? Is it possible? Will the blog host the first, true, coast-to-coast blog tailgater? Can we dream of such an occasion? Please. Make it happen. Just like you helped create the blog. Just like you predicted the Gators thumping of the Tigers. I am sorry I did not believe in your's and Jason's power. Please accept my apology.
As I texted you during and after the game, I was away from television and under a radio silence during most of Saturday. I had too may "kid" issues, with soccer and water polo games. I did not watch any of the SC game (I recorded it on Tivo and watched most of it late Saturday and finished it off early Sunday morning) and when I got home, I turned on the Gator-Tiger game to find that UF was ahead something like 35-14 (the second play I saw was one of your mini-backs...not Moody...taking a screen/short pass all the way to the house). After that, when I got re-situated again, you guys had scored again and the rout was complete! Luisleon's Tigers have dropped significantly in the polls as a result of the drubbing they took. Much explaining from the LouLion one is needed.
As for emotion, as much as we talk about it, I like the late, great Trojan John McKay's explanation of emotion. When a reporter asked him about how well his Trojan's played with emotion, he quipped, "My wife, Cory, is very emotional. She is a lousy football player."
That is all, for now.
Take care,
Victor
Victor, great take as always. One of the last things I told our beloved Andy during a telephone conversation not long before he left us was that I thought his Trojans and my Gators were destined to meet in "The Big One". I even sent him a Gator T-Shirt and told him to hide it somewhere and promise to wear it for a week if we beat them and I would of course wear a Trojan T-shirt if the Trojans beat us. We both looked forward to the birth of a new coast-to-coast rivalry. If it comes to pass, we must dedicate the tailgate and game to Andy. And, if your beloved Trojans beat us, as much as the loss would sting, I will promise to wear a Trojan T-Shirt in honor of Andy!
Post a Comment