Thursday, December 6, 2007
BCS Chaos Doesn't Legitimize Ignorance or Stupidity
Just Read Another Terrific Article on BCS Stupidity... If you click on the title to this blog right above "BCS Chaos Doesn't..." you will pull up the article. I know we've beat this horse to death, but it's still alive, so I'll keep beating it. I'm also going to try to post a really hilarious video of James Carville, the Clinton political guru, on the BCS stupidity. I don't agree much with Carville on political issues (although, Norita, I'm really coming around). But he is smart as all get out and really funny in a strange sort of way... Someone I would really enjoy having a beer or two with while we eat a plate of New Orleans red beans and rice or shrimp gumbo. Anyway, he was being interviewed yesterday and generally asked something along the line of: we know you hate the BCS system but your Tigers are going to play in the national championship, so does that change your mind since the "system" favored the tigers. He really let it rip with both barrels. It's worth watching. I'll see if I can post a link to it! Here it is! Check it out!!! Hey, Rob, I'm getting good at this stuff!! I'm going to fire my IT guy!!! http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,4160799441.aspx
Carville also went on to criticize the officiating in the West Virginia/Pitt game this weekend. I don't know how many of you watched this game but I saw the whole thing and it was outright criminal. There were two absolutely phantom holding calls against Pitt at crucial moments. One took away a touchdown and another a critical first down. I saw close ups of both plays and the supposedly offending Pitt player from every angle and there is no possible way it was holding. What makes it even worst is that there was a blatant outrageous holding (grabbing the jersey and pulling like crazy for an extended period) by West Virginia right in front of the same official which he did not call. He was looking straight at it, less than five feet away and he did not throw a flag!!! After throwing two flags on blatant phantoms!!! I'm no Pitt fan but I went absolutely ballistic. The official was obviously trying to do everything in his power to give the game to WVA. It was outrageous. Criminal. We've all had some bad calls against our teams over the years but this was way beyond the pale and into the area of open and obvious corruption. That's what Carville was talking about and saying he was surprised ESPN didn't do an investigation into it and show the whole country what happened. But ESPN is part of the whole system. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've got a pitchfork in one hand and a torch in the other!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Waso,
See what I mean about officials and football? In the Pros this weekend Baltimore beat New England only to have the officials hand the game to New England with 3 penalties in the last minute of the game.
BTW Mari graduates from FAU in a few days with her Masters - those Olws had a pretty good season and even gave the Gators a decent first half. Something Hawaii won't come close to doing next year; then they'll blame their loss on jet lag. Did you see Washington score 21 points on them in the first ten minutes of the game?
Ricardo,
Glad to see you blogging. Yes; in the pros, the officials have a tremendous say-so in the outcome. New England was beaten, for sure, only to have the officials let them off the hook. although the time out did appear to be called by the Ravens (stupid) and the New England lineman did move early, justifying the penalty, the officials looked to be "helping" the Pats continue on their roll. It helps the NFL.
As for the college game, somebody was noting the strange calls at the end of the WVU/Pitt game. Phantom calls against Pitt and helping WVU were obvious, although I did not see the game.
Anyways, glad to see the Dolphins are raging towards their season of imperfection. Keep us posted.
Adios,
Victor
Joaq,
Great video on Carville ripping the BCS!! He, basically, states our case for us. He should have stated that all of the rest of college football, except for major college football, has a playoff system. This past weekend, D-II was having their national semifinal games. This is an insult!!! We should be starting our playoffs right now!
The monopoly has to end. Down with BS and bowls. Bring on the playoffs. The National Title should be decided on the field; not by computers and administators.
Out,
Victor
Post a Comment