- Lehigh 33 Georgetown 13 - The Lehigh Mountain Hawks (3-5,2-1) scored three unanswered touchdowns to take down the Georgetown Hoyas (1-7,0-4) 33-13. Don't worry Willy, basketball season will soon be here. Go Hoyas!
- Texas A&M 24 Colorado 17 - Jerrod Johnson threw three touchdown passes in the third quarter and Trent Hunter intercepted two passes in the fourth to lead Texas A&M to a 24-17 win over Colorado. Way to go Aggiepete!
- Illinois 27 Iowa 24 - Matt Eller kicked a 46-yard field goal with 24 seconds left and Illinois withstood Iowa's fourth-quarter comeback for a 27-24 victory Saturday. Yikes! Disappointing last minute loss, Hawkeye Ted!
- USC 56 Washington 0 - Mark Sanchez completed 15 of 19 passes for 167 yards and two touchdowns to Patrick Turner before coming out early in the third quarter. Southern California scored TDs on its first six possessions and routed the Huskies 56-0. Total domination! Congratulations Trojans!
- LSU 35 Tulane 10 - Charles Scott rushed for 114 yards and scored two touchdowns in 27 seconds late in the second quarter to help LSU put the game away. Congrats Luisleon!
Florida 49 Georgia 10 - Urban Meyer issued a gag order before the Florida Georgia game. No smack talk, no projections, no promises, no nothing. Instead, in answer to last year's
en masse celebration by the Dawg's on Florida's end zone, the Gators dismantled Georgia with the cold, ruthless efficiency of a Special Forces unit. The tone was set 30 seconds into the game when Florida middle linebacker, Brandon Spikes, blew through the Georgia offensive line like a speeding locomotive and leveled Georgia marquee running back Knowshon Moreno behind the line of scrimmage with such frightening force that the hit could be heard all the way to Athens, Ga. What followed was total, unchecked, out-of-control domination on offense, defense, special teams, cheerleaders, mascots, you name it. I have never seen Florida play so well. With three minutes left in the game Georgia had not scored a touchdown, the score was 49-3, the Florida bench had been emptied after the third quarter, our third string QB was running the offense, our offensive coordinator had come down from his booth and was hugging Tebow on the sideline, our defensive coordinator had taken off his headset, turned his back on the field, and was talking with Meyer. When a graduate assistant tried to get his attention because Georgia was getting close to the red zone, our defensive coordinator waved him off as if to say, "Whatever, let them score..." That last minute Georgia touchdown was pure face-saving mercy. A small act of kindness. P.S. Not only did our coaches let them score, the Gators on the stands cheered when Georgia finally scored. Quote from article:
- "The Gators were up 49-3 when Georgia finally got into the end zone. Florida fans mockingly cheered for the Bulldogs. Haden and safety Ahmad Black also applauded in jest." (Rivals.com)
How's that for SEC solidarity!
7 comments:
Joaq,
Thanks for the update and the wonderful summaries, as always. Although none of our members are from either Texas (Charlie Dunn...Aggie Pete's brother was once a member of our proud blog...not anymore) or Texas Tech, I thought their game this past weekend was deserving of special recognition. In my humble opinion, it was one of the top 5 or 10 games I have ever seen; and, my perspective was open, as I did not attend either of the schools, have no association with either school, and the impact of the game had little or no effect on SC; so, my viewing was purely from a fan's perspective. WOW! What a game!!! And, what a finish. I watched in awe with other party goers at a backyard function that I ended up at by chance. We were going nuts! Harrell, the QB for Tech, put on a passing display which will surely launch him into the 1st round of the NFL draft come April. He threw for almost 500 yards against a tough Longhorn defense in a bitter rivalry game. Good for the Red Raiders, a team that has almost no football tradition when it comes to top finishes or major bowl history.
I hope our fellow bloggers got a chance to witness this spectacular game. We will see how far Tech can go as the balance of their schedule is extremely tough as the Big-12 is awesome this year (except for A&M).
Got to go.
Victor
Note: The comment about A&M is meant to illicit a comment from Aggie Pete, who has grown more silent as the season progresses. VMC
Victor, I also watched and enjoyed the Texas - Texas Tech game with great interest as a neutral observer. I have to agree it's one of the best games I have seen in a long time... Actually reminded me a little of the 1997 Florida - FSU game I wrote about last year both in terms of wall-to-wall intensity and last second dramatics. In the historic UF-FSU game both teams racked up well north of 500 yards on total offense and Florida came back and won on a gutsy last minute drive to the end-zone. I thought the dramatic catch and miraculous escape by Crabtree was amazing. I liked the Texas - Tex Tech game so much, I watched it again last night in it's entirety on ESPN-U. Just absolutely love college football! The pros pale by comparison.
Following our conversation, if Penn State wins out, I don't think Joe Pa can be denied one last shot at glory, strength of schedule or NOT!
Joaq,
I think you guys will leap-frog Penn State because this wacky BCS system was set up, in part, to do away with emotional decisions by coaches and writers. Hence, Joe Pa, and the "feel good" story he generates, will be nixed by an easy schedule. UF will rise to the top; trust me.
I will say this about Joe Pa: If he wins out, he will have coached Penn State to an undefeated season in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and the "ought" decade with 2008 looming. That, my friend, is quite a history of consistency.
That notwithstanding, the Gators are in a great position. If they win out and beat #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship Game, they will play for the National Championship.
As for our Trojans, we will not play for the National Championship or even the Rose Bowl as Oregon State holds the advantage there. Early projections are that we may match-up against either Alabama or Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl or the Sugar Bowl.
We will see.
Victor
Well, Vic, I think it's a little early to make bowl projections even if everyone is doing it. We still have to get by Vandy and So Carolina and then, if we are lucky, get past Alabama. I have always worried more about games like Vandy and SoCarolina than bigger games. You know I'm not just posturing. Remember we talked about Ole Miss before the game and I told you I was real worried, that I thought they were a better team than people thought and that the Gators may not be up for the game. On the other hand, I felt very confident about LSU and Georgia (Check out my score spread predictions in both those game in college pick'em). Before the LSU game I predicted the score to be FL 42 LSU 14 (28 points in favor of FL). The actual score was FL 51 LSU 21 (30 points in favor of FL). In the Georgia game I was a mite more exuberant. I predicted FL 69 GA 7 (62 points in favor of FL) Actual was FL 49 GA 10 (39 points in favor of FL) When you consider that with 3 minutes left the score was 49-3 (46 points in favor of FL), I was way more accurate than Vegas which gave FL a 6 point spread in both those games. I've been following my beloved Gators for 40 years and, God bless them, when there is a serious game, against an opponent they deem a real threat, they come out guns blazing, breathing fire, and Katie bar the door because there's going to be blood on the field. But then they get caught sleeping against an Ole Miss or a So Carolina. They are real suckers for "trap" games.
So, yes, I will worry about Vandy and SoCarolina until the clock reads "0" on both those games!
Joaq,
You hit the nail on the head...again. On the college level, especially, the really good teams have a tendency to "play to the level of the opponents". Florida and SC fall into that "trap".
For us, this weekend's game against Cal (which has only 2 losses overall and are coming off a big win against Oregon) should be easy for us. Since it is a "tough" game against a ranked opponent (I think Cal is #22), we should romp all over them. After that, we travel to Stanford, which is wacky, as always. Our motivation will be pay-back for last year's loss at the Coliseum; then the Irish (no need to hype that game as they are always tough against us...although I predict we will romp all over them, as well); then the gutty-little-Bruins (big, cross-town rivalry) to end the season.
I am hopeful we run the table these last few games and let the chips fall where they may.
As a side note, Chris Durfresne, the fine sports writer for the LA Times, penned an article in today's paper about the 4 plays (imagine, just 4 lousy plays) which are keeping (and have kept) SC from an unheard of 6 straight national championships. Great article!
Even though Luisleon (he of the formerly high ranking LSU Tigers) has to admit that SC's run of 6 straight (bordering on 7 straight) seasons of at least 11 wins is most impressive, considering changing personnel, kids leaving early for the NFL, and a tough schedule year in and year out. It has been awesome what Pete Carroll and his staff(s) have accomplished these past few years. And, with a bumper crop of recruits, coupled with a huge # of returning starters, and SC's future looks very bright.
We love LA!!!
So long for now.
Victor
Good post, Vic. There are a lot of other similarities between SC and FL. Frankly I think THE TRUE championship game would be SC - FL. Both teams with tremendous speed, great depth, and very well coached. It would be a heck of a contest. Neither would be an upstart or an underdog to the other. Just two very powerful teams with lots offensive & defensive savvy and ability.(Last week, when Florida kept changing the defensive and offensive schemes and "looks" at will between snaps, an amazed TV commentator exclaimed, "Just how many different offenses and defenses does Florida have??!!" Anyway, here's hoping for a true "Coast-to-Coast Contest"!
Ditto!
Victor
Post a Comment