Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cuban Rudy: Javier Estopinan

Some time ago I told Victor that "Rudy" was one of my favorite movies. In typical Trojan fashion he shot back, "There's nothing special or unique about Notre Dame's Rudy! Every College Team has it's Rudy!" As usual, Victor was right. Yesterday was senior day at The Swamp. All the graduating seniors and their families received emotional special recognition before the game. But Urban Meyer saved a glorious moment during the game for Javier Estopinan, who is from Miami and a son of Cuban parents. Estopinan, a defensive lineman for the Gators, suffered a series of devastating injuries which required three knee reconstructions over the past several years and have kept him off the field for most of his college career. He has not even been listed on the depth chart since early in 2006. He missed the last eight games of the 06 season and the National Championship game. But he hung in with the team, attending team meetings, doing everything he could for the Gators. He is also an excellent student who graduated with honors and is already working on his master's degree at UF. Shortly after the first team was pulled from the field, Urban Meyer gave Estopinan a golden moment he will remember for the rest of his life. Florida had racked up a quick 49 points and the Gators were ready to score once more from the one yard line. Suddenly number 93 struts in from the Gator sideline and everybody around me starts asking, "Who is that?" "Who's 93?" Everyone starts searching their programs furiously. A white haired professor sitting in front of me turns around and says, "That's one of my students, Javier Estopinan. He's a real nice kid. He told me Urban Meyer promised him something special today and I think this is it!" We all watch as Number 93 lines up next to our third string QB John Brantley. Long count. The ball is snapped and Brantley hands off to Number 93. Number 93 freezes for a moment, almost as if he didn't know what to do. Then he veers right, runs over a Citadel linebacker, and into the endzone. Touchdown! Standing ovation from an emotional crowd! Estopinan, as quoted in the Miami Herald: ''It was awesome,'' Estopinan said. 'There was no other feeling. If you watch the play again, I almost froze for a little bit, and then I started going again. It was real special." Javier Estopinan, Cuban Rudy.

3 comments:

Victor said...

Joaq,
I apologize for being away from the blog for several days. I missed it badly, so, upon my return from court this morning, I could not wait to view the blog. True to form, you have not disappointed. What a thrill!! The Cuban Rudy, Javier Estopinan (sounds like a Cuban Armenian!). What a great story. As I told you before (and it has now been confirmed, finally, for the last time), there is nothing special about the original Rudy; only, because they made a movie out of it. As a matter of fact, the movie was not even true (I believe Rudy got into the game, playing on special teams for one play; and that was it. He did not make a play, as the movie shows. So, even the movie was a lie!). Imagine, a movie about ND football that is not true.
Postscript: The other movie about ND football and the story of George Gipp (aka, "the Gipper") was, also, not true. Even the "win one for the Gipper" was exaggerated by none other than Knute Rockne (who knew a thing or 2 about motivating his men). Sorry to burst your bubble, but all those stories are exaggerated. Even young Ronald Reagan's performance was not impressive (nor was his political career). But, I digress.
This week is the SC-ND rivalry, which, from a historical perspective, is among the great college football rivalries ever. It has been called among the greatest rivalries in sports, period.
Even with the Irish's latest foibles, the game is still big. I hope to attend on Saturday with my son, Jose, who has never attended an SC-ND game. This should be something. For sheer emotion and for a jolt of nostalgia, all blog readers are referred to my blog post of my first college football game; SC-ND in 1974.
Take care.
Got to run.
Victor

Joaquin said...

Victor, I missed you. I'm glad you are back. I have taken the liberty of "re-posting" the account of your first college game. So far only you, Rob, and I have, posted our first college game experiences. Actually, only you and Rob because my account of the 97 UF/FSU game was not my first. My first was that memorable game against Houston when Carlos Alvarez scored on the first pass which I talked about on my "letter to Juan" I may post the portion about that game sometime. Anyway, I hope more people post their first college game experience! Go Trojans. Please trash ND!!!

Victor said...

Joaq,
I remember the "Cuban Comet" story from your apologia. Great stuff!!! Fantastic!!
We will trash the Irish. I hope to take my son, Jose, to the game as we will be here for the weekend. The rest of the family will make the trek to Sacramento to be with the family up there. The dinner will be at Annie and Andy's house, as is the tradition. Usually, dinner is delayed as the SC-ND game starts at 5 p.m., West Coast time. The bird can wait...nothing can interrupt the Trojans/Irish battle. All I can say is I hope my son's water polo game ends early enough so we can get to L.A., park, walk into Exposition Park and the Coliseum area, scalp tickets, and get in to see the game. I know exactly where to go...I learned from Jos and Andy!
Victor