Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Georgia President - Eight Team Playoff!

Did Everyone read the story right below to the right? Georgia President proposes 8 team playoff and NCAA is taking the proposal under consideration. I thought I'd never say this but: Go Dawgs!

2 comments:

Victor said...

Joaq,
Hold everything. Before you and our fellow bloggers get too excited about Georgia's President talking up a playoff, you should read the fine print. The Pac-10/Big-10 (11)/People in Red-Jackets will steam roll any notion of a playoff, at least until their TV contract runs out in 2012! That's right. As I have written about for months, the problem lies in the "other" conferences (Pac-10 and Big-10) and their fat TV contract they have with ABC (which is part of ESPN, which is all owned by Disney). ABC will not let out the conferences from their Rose Bowl TV deal. Plain and simple.
The only way I see an out is if ABC is given a ton of $ (or, better yet, and exclusive TV deal) to broadcast the playoffs. That will never happen because CBS (now aligned with the SEC) and Fox want to bid on the playoff contract. Too many players for not enough of a "piece of the pie", so to speak.
Anyways, got to run and see a client.
Un abrazo,
Victor

Joaquin said...

Wow, Victor, you really have a handle on it. Yesterday I was in a mediation in G'ville and one of the lawyers was a member of the Orange Bowl committee. The thing went on for about 14 hours (finally got it done) but in between I had plenty of opportunity to talk to him about playoffs and Georgia's proposal. I think you have a better sense of it than he did. As a former football player he was all for a playoff and I tried to dig into the economics of it and it didn't make much sense to either of us. But I guess it's all about TV rights and coming up with the right contract. The Old Bear was a genious when it came to dealing with the TV folks. I'm sure he'd be for playoffs. I wonder what he'd do if we could resurrect him. Hey-- since it's all about Disney, here's an idea. We storm Disney in Orange County CA and Orange County FL with pitchforks and torches and have CNN cover the story