Sunday, January 27, 2008
Greatest Game Ever - Rob Style
The evening of November 17, 2001 was cool and clear, and Florida State had swaggered in to challenge Florida in the Swamp. I was a senior, and had suffered three (3) consecutive, agonizing losses against FSU (in my mind, our primary rival, at least in those days). I walked toward the stadium full of trepidation, praying I would not have to graduate without at least one win against the team from Tallahassee. As I was walking, my future wife, Tiffany called my cell phone. She was a freshman at UF, and had managed to get a last minute ticket from a friend (freshman typically are not able to swing season tickets). We were only friends in those days, but we always fed off each other's energy, and we met up at the stadium excitedly. We sneaked our way into sitting next to each other, and the game began. Everyone worked themselves into a frenzy as the pregame program built to a crescendo, and as the team ran out of the tunnel I had tears in my eyes and hope in my heart. I don't recall many specific details from that game, but I remember we opened up a big lead behind Rex Grossman's incredible throws to Gaffney, Cadwell and Jacobs, while the massive RB Earnest Graham knocked through FSU's defensive line again and again. When it was all over, we had earned a 37-13 victory, and Tiff and I were ecstatic. We hugged and jumped up and down like everyone else in the stadium, cheering. I remember yelling toward the tunnel "thank you, gators!" That victory was enough for me to consider every undergrad moment I spent dressed in orange and blue, painted up, chanting or screaming, worth it. We had defeated our rivals and I would go on to graduate with all pride intact. As the stadium emptied, I stood there, smiling victoriously until Tiffany finally tugged me toward the tunnel to leave and celebrate a game I would never forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Great post, Rob! And now Tiffany & you are married and have those incredible moments at the Swamp to share for the rest of your lives. That's what it's all about. I have so many memories with close friends, with Mom, with you guys. There's nothing like walking back into the cavernous labyrinth of the Swamp after a glorious game, after the Alma Mater, after the team leaves the field, yelling: "It's Great... To Be... A Florida Gator!! I said... It's Great... To Be... A Florida Gator!!!" with about 90,000 of your fellow Gators. Nothing like it in the whole wide world!
P.S. Mom & I just got back from G'ville where the Gators just trashed #13 Vanderbilt 86-64. Terrific game. Our baby Gators were on fire. Vandy couldn't deal with our swarming full-court press. And our guys couldn't miss, from downtown, in the paint, wherever. Everybody was in double figures. Hodge had the game of his life. The O-Dome was hyper electric and my hands still hurt from the constant staccato chomping (you know, that rapid-fire chomp we do when we're beating the cr..p out of somebody) and I'm hoarse as all get out but I'm happy as a Gator in a swamp! We were so awesome that Billy D is worried that the young 'uns are going to actually think they're good and start "drinking the poison". You know were getting good when Billy D starts talking about "drinking the poison" [of success]!!!
Rob,
Great post. We have got to find our way to the Swamp next season. If it is true that your dad has invited (and Luisleon has accepted) a ticket for next year's Florida/LSU game, that may be the impetus to get the Cueto Clan our there.
Is this possible? Would that be fantastic, or what?
Give us the date and we can see if this is possible.
Victor
Note: Glad you knocked the crap our of the dreaded Seminoles! VMC
Vic, You and luisleon @ the Swamp for the LSU game next year would be a dream. If both of you are serious I'll get to work on it right away. Tickets are going to be hard to come by. I've been sharing faculty tickets for the last few years with a full professor buddy of mine and last year I lucked out because he was away on a sabattical so I had his full compliment. I think he'll be back this fall but I'm not entirely sure. I still may get one or two tickets per game (awesome seats) but LSU is always a primo game and this year they'll be defending National Champs so the demand for tcks will be out of this world. Nevertheless, if you guys are in, I'll get working on it right away. I've got lots of friend and chips out but, like they told Rudy outside the stadium when he approached a couple asking for tickets, and told them, "I need a ticket." Their reply was, "The Pope needs a ticket!!!!" I don't want to wait till the last minute because I don't want you to make a flight across the country without a ticket for you in my hand!
Post a Comment