Saturday, January 19, 2008

While We Wait for National Signing Day, Hoops Glory & March Madness...

While we wait for national signing day (Feb 6), "College Hoops Glory" fantasy game (mid Feb, I think), & March Madness, I have a request from my fellow bloggers. On December 7, Victor posted a beautifully written story about his first college football game, "The Greatest Game Ever Played." It's Victor's account of the 1974 USC/ND game where the underdog Trojans came back from a huge deficit to beat Notre Dame at the Coliseum. Victor was a wide-eyed 16 year old high school kid at the time and he was taken to the game by big brother Jose and future brother-in-law, Andy, both of whom were --literally and figuratively-- "big men on the USC campus." Victor's description of following the big boys through the pre-game crowd and confusion, learning new songs and cheers, his early worry as USC fell hopelessly behind in the first half, while Jose and Andy kept the faith telling him, "Don't worry we've come back before," and then, the heroic comeback, as USC began scoring and scoring and Jose and Andy were jumping "halfway to the sky" --all those magnificent vignettes have really stuck with me, they've struck a deep chord, and reminded me of my own experiences. (Victor, I've read your post at least ten times). If any of you have not read Victor's post, you should go back to the blog archive, Dec 7, and read it. It's worth it. You should print it and read it before you go to sleep. It's that good. And then, here's my request. I would really like to see as many of you as possible write an account of the first (or most significant early) college game you saw --the game which made you a Trojan or a Tiger or an Aggie or a Gator for life. I think it would be really fun to read each other's experiences. Luisleon, I really would love to hear about Death Valley. Your fellow Tigers claim that some of the games have registered as earthquakes in the seismic labs at the school-- is that true? Michelle and Natalie, can you tell us about your Trojan experiences, we would really enjoy learning more about gameday at USC? Ashley-- the major newspapers in Florida have carried your bi-line and published your wonderful stories --can you spare a little time and talent for your Gator gameday experiences? Rob, I think I spotted you painted head to toe on the east stands during your freshman year, is that true or did I imagine it? Tiffany, you are such an athlete and knowledgeable Gator, can you tell us about any of your early games? Jason? John? You guys have been to some incredible games, please share. Norita, you teach Shakespeare, surely you can wax poetic about a college football game, what would the Bard write about such heroic contests??? Aggiepete, I've never seen a game at College Station can you bring one to life for us??? Todd?? You started going to Gator games when you were a little kid with your dad, the other uncle rick. Talk to us! Both uncle ricks, for heaven's sake, you lived at your fraternity house across the street from the Swamp (which was not called the Swamp back then but just Florida Field) and went to a gizillion games. Spill your guts! The blog is waiting for your words...

2 comments:

Victor said...

Joaq,
Thanks for the props on my post on "The Greatest Game Ever Played". I means so much to me that you got a kick out of it. I was and remains such a powerful memory for me that I can feel it. I still get the chills.
The blog has lost some steam, for sure. But, we will rise, again.
Abrazos
Victor

Joaquin said...

Thanks, Vic. We'll keep the fire burning till March Madness!