Monday, September 15, 2008

A Day to Remember

Rick Fraxedas is truly the embodiment of the Coast to Coast Sports Chat! One week he is at the Swamp and within two weeks he is at the Coliseum for the USC vs Ohio ST. Game. The day was divinely inspired, since we attended Mass at the Cathedral of Los Angeles (Our Lady od the Angeles), and we were awestruck at not only the beauty of the structure, but the presence of numerous different ethnic groups in traditional garb and song. The Japanese drums began the proceedings and it was uphill from there. We even joined them at a reception afterwards and had thai food. Then we drove past the Walt Disney Concert Hall on our way to the GAME. Once we arriced, the sea of humanity was everywhere. We walked the campus all the way to the Stadium thinking we might score some tickets. No such luck as they were hype exspensivo. We finally tracked down the Katnik tailgate party and had a beer with the youngsters. (Pictures to follow). From there we saw the team, lead by Pete Carroll, walking through a huge crowd of people. We saw Sanchez, Maualuga, etc...very impressive group of young people. The band was playing their dorky fight song, repeated ad infinitum, which is then rattling in my sbuconscious for days. The best part was that Rick wore his Gators t-shirt and it caused a sensation. The USC fans loved it, but the Ohio people were visibly disturbed by the presence of a nemesis. The comments were funny and all in good fun. A lady passing by said that even though she had a USC hat on, she was a Gator, just incognito for the day. After all of that, we made it back to Victor's for the opening kickoff and a great tailgater at his house. A fun time was had by all. I also see that Natalie is still in the number one position. Fun for her since she picks the teams by color of uniform, if she likes the school, and if she knows somebody who attended. Sounds like as good a way to pick as any.

2 comments:

Joaquin said...

Nora, what a terrific post! I would have given anything to be there. It sounds like all of you had a blessed day beginning with the beautiful mass at the cathedral. I hope I can catch a later --albeit lesser-- game at The Coliseum. The story of Rick wearing his Gator T-shirt and the reaction to it was priceless. Since our house is torn down, we watched THE GAME at the Byrnes, our neighbors and best friends, who live a few houses down the street from us. I think Victor has heard of the legendary tailgaters put on by the Byrnes boys outside the Swamp (one of them, Drew, is a close friend of Tebow). We whooped and hollered and had a terrific time watching the incredible historic beatdown the Trojans delivered to the Buckeyes. As much as I enjoyed the Trojan offense, I enjoyed the swarming defense, stuffing Ohio State at every turn, even more! Congratulations again to all Trojans!!!! Que familia!!!! What a blog!!!!

RickFrax said...

Nori,
Thanks for the great post. I had a nice trip back - lots of time to reflect on our wonderful experience. Thanks to you, Victor and the rest of the terrific left coasters who are so great to be with. I think it is up to you and me to make the Blogers tailgate a reality. I'll be e-mailing the pictures in a few minutes.