Saturday, September 27, 2008
Hubris and The gods of the Underdog
It has been an unbelievable and exciting last few days in the college football world. The gods have smiled on the lowliest and have rewarded the least among us with victory. Good! Being humbled levels the playing field and, by extension, us along with them. All the Davids of the world rejoice and, because of this, the world is a better place. Anyone can win as long as there is a big heart, passion and faith. Yesterday, I used the USC loss as an introduction to the concept of hubris. Excessive pride is no use to anyone (or any team). These games are a great real-life example of all things Shakespearean. Do not overreach, the Bard says, because the consequences may be dire. Complacency is the killer and these young football players will learn a valuable lesson for their future. The teams of USC, U of F, U of G, Wisconsin, et al, now see that all that is needed is a passionate embrace of the impossible to overcome the insurmountable. That is what I told my students on Friday. Monday, the discussion will continue. Congrats to the winners and sympathy for the losers. Fight on and continue to play. It is what makes life worth living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nora,
Please see my comments to Joaq's "Coast to Coast Empathy", as I do not want to write it, again. Suffice to say...I wish I could take a Shakespeare class from you; it might help me to survive the next 2 months of games.
Oregon travels to the Coliseum this Saturday. Want to go and scalp tickets? I can hear the band already.
Victor
Absolutely. If I take a trombone, I may join in the procession?
Nora,
Maybe, however, don't they already have 76 trombones in the big parade, with 110 coronets right behind?
Victor
Post a Comment